Hard Boiled Qual Eggs

Yesterday I did something that I don't think I ever want to attempt again.  Yesterday I hard boiled quail eggs - 18 quail eggs.  I thought to myself: hey, this can't be more difficult than a regular chicken egg, right?  Right?

Turns out it's a bit more labor intensive than I expected.

Ingredients:
1 cup vinegar
1 cup water
18 quail eggs




Step one:  soak quail eggs in warm water to warm and clean them.  Keep in mind, these are very delicate so don't just dump them in a bowl, ok?



Step two: pour water and vinegar into a sauce pot and carefully place eggs in.  Bring the pot to a boil.  The reason we use vinegar is to soften the shells and make them easier to peel.  NOT easy, just easier.




Step three: once boiling, time it for five minutes.  This is a good time to make some instant soup to maybe add the eggs to.



Step four: don't stick your head in for a smell when it starts to fizz a bit.  Do not.  I did, and while it did clear out my sinuses in no time at all, it also left me reeking of vinegar.




Step five: allow the eggs to cool.  For this I dumped the hot water out and stuck the eggs into a cold water bath.  Do whatever you prefer, just be fore-warned the vinegar causes the brown bits on the eggs to flake off.  Things are about to get messy.



And now we peel!  And peel.  And peel.  The best way to do this is turn on the sink (luke-warm water to save your hands) and peel under running water.  The white of these eggs is quite thin so you will tear them no matter what.



Now just dry the eggy wonders on some paper towels and store them for a few days (they wont last long) in a sealed container in the fridge.  If you can't wait, feel free to grab some, grind some salt onto them, and go to town!



And don't forget to enjoy your soup!




These eggs are so time-consuming to peel but they do seem more eggy than the chicken's eggs we get at the supermarket.  Worth it?  Sort of.  Will I do it again?  Perhaps in a month or so.

I made them yesterday and all 18 of them are now gone.  How sad I am.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Read Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment